Property Division

Experienced Boston Property Division Attorneys

Issues related to the division of marital property are complex. Massachusetts is an equitable division state, so property is not necessarily divided 50-50. In addition, some property may not be marital property. At Cosgrove, Eisenberg & Kiley, P.C., we work closely with our clients to determine what is joint and separate property and work toward an equitable division of that property.

Boston Property Division Lawyers

When dealing with property issues in a divorce, people must understand that property division includes real estate, savings, 401Ks, pensions, stocks, and debts. It is also important to recognize that not all assets owned by each person are necessarily a marital asset. Gifts, inheritances, vested pensions, and separate businesses may all be separate property that is not part of the Divorce Separation Agreement.

Our attorneys work closely with our clients to understand their specific situation, what constitutes marital property, and what is separate property. We also look at the factors the courts consider in making property distribution decisions, including the length of the marriage, the age and health of each person, income, and employability. We also have significant experience working with business evaluators, accountants, and forensic accountants to determine the value of assets and discover any hidden assets.

Once we have a full picture of the marital estate, we strive to help our clients negotiate equitable property settlement agreements. Our attorneys have significant experience guiding clients through mediation and arbitration. However, we are skilled trial lawyers and when necessary, we will zealously represent our clients' property interests in court. Our firm has a forty year history of providing outstanding legal representation and we are dedicated to putting our tradition, insight, and experience to work for you.

Contact Our Lawyers for an Initial Consultation

If you are involved in a divorce and need legal advice or representation in a property division matter, please contact the lawyers at Cosgrove, Eisenberg & Kiley, P.C.. We can be reached by phone at either our Quincy or Boston, Massachusetts offices, by e-mail, or by filling out the intake form on our Contact page.